By admin | July 4, 2011
If you are thinking about undergoing IVF, you might be wondering how to improve IVF success rates naturally. If you are actually still at that “thinking” stage, then that’s great as you have plenty of time to prepare beforehand.
The ideal time to start preparing your body and mind for IVF success is around 6 months before your first cycle. Of course, it really is never too late to make positive changes which will beneficially impact on your treatment but the sooner you start, the better.
Much of improving the success of IVF is down to making sure your body and mind are in tip top health. This applies to both parties and not just the woman.
You must never underestimate the contribution which a healthy diet will make towards your quest to learn how to improve IVF success rates naturally. Couples who eat the right kind of diet are more likely to have a successful implantation than those who do not. It is also crucial that you know what to avoid eating, and indeed, which environmental substances and toxins to avoid as these can negatively impact upon both the heath of the eggs and sperm.
Healthy sperm is, of course, a vital part of IVF. The production of sperm begins around 90 days before maturity, so lets have a look at what can be done.
Sperm health depends on a number of different factors. The main ones are below:-
- Quantity-You are most likely to be fertile if the quantity of sperm in each ejaculation is over 39 million.
- Quality-Ideally the percentage of “normal” sperm should be greater than 4%. By normal, we mean sperm which has a functioning tail and a correctly-shaped head. Any less than this and fertilization is less likely.
- Motility-Sperm need to be able to swim on their own and although where IVF is concerned the sperm is added to the petri-dish, research shows that a healthy ejaculate will contain around 40 of moving sperm.
How To Improve IVF Success Rates-Sperm Health
Simple steps can help, including:-
- Take a supplement-A good all-round supplement which includes vitamin E and C can help with sperm production
- Eat a good diet-Up your intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, beans, seeds, nuts and dairy. In particular, fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants which can improve the health and performance of sperm
- Keep stress levels down-Managing stress is vital for both parties to IVF treatment. It is known that an increase in stress can disrupt the normal functioning of hormones which, in turn, can affect sperm production
- Get enough exercise-Sperm production and subsequent IVF success rates can be improved by ensuring that you have enough physical activity. However, don’t do too much strenuous exercise as exhaustion can lead to a drop in sperm production
- Keep to a healthy weight-Being overweight can both reduce the levels of sperm and potentially increase abnormalities
Of course, those wanting to know how to improve IVF success rates must take steps other than simply looking after sperm health. However, this important and integral element is sometimes overlooked, with the emphasis placed only on the role of the woman.
You might like to read the post, Helpful IVF Hints for Success which will give you further general information on this topic.